Originally owned by the Abbey of Westminster, the estate of Morden Hall Park was purchased by Messrs Ducket and Whitchurch in 1553.
The following year, it was bought by Richard Garth, a clerk of the Petty Bay at Chancery and son of a successful lawyer. At this time, records show a ‘newly built mansion house’ known as Growtes which stood to the south of the present Hall.
The estate remained within the Garth family until the 19th Century and, between 1759 and 1765, the fifth Richard Garth is thought to have built Morden Hall.
Over the next century, a number of tenants occupied the Hall and at one point it was used as a school for young gentlemen.
1867 saw further change when parts of the estate, eventually to include Morden Hall, were sold once again. The new owner was Gilliat Hatfeild, a successful tobacco merchant and partner in the firm that ran the Morden snuff mill. He created a park from the land that surrounded the Hall, removing field boundaries, demolishing cottages and planting trees resulting in a park of chestnuts and willows. He was also responsible for constructing a tree-lined drive that ran from the Hall to the new South Lodge in Morden Road.
Upon his death in 1906, Gilliat Hatfeild’s son, Gilliat Edward (GE) Hatfeild ran the estate. Morden Hall was loaned to the London Hospital as a convalescent home for military patients during the First World War and later opened its doors as a home for women and children run by the Salvation Army. When he died in 1942, G E Hatfeild left the core of the estate, including Morden Hall, to the National Trust who took over direct management of the estate in 1980.
Following extensive renovation in 2015, Morden Hall was revealed as one of the most exciting wedding venues in the UK – the next chapter in the history of this magnificent house.
We would love to show you all that Morden Hall has to offer, whether this is for your wedding day, conference, filming project or celebratory occasion.